Thursday, September 16, 2010

Artists Feature- Myka Shoes

 
J: Where are you from?
M: I'm from Israel born and raised. Although I did spend a few years in the Netherlands where I studied at the Rietveld Academy of Art and Design in Amsterdam.
 
J: How do your surrounding affect your creative process?
M: My creative process is less affected by my surroundings, but rather from my interests. My current collection, Winter 2010/2011, is actually inspired by the movies of Pedro Almodovar, specifically the women from his movies. While my Summer 2010 collection was inspired by strong women in history. Basically I guess you can say I am inspired by strong women everywhere.

J: How long have you been designing?
M: I started sketching and designing things for myself since the day I learned to hold a pencil. My love of design really blossomed during my studies at the Rietveld Academy, and that’s when I really got more deeply involved in graphic design and the like. It wasn’t until two years ago that I decided to focus on shoe design. This is currently my second year in the business and I’m enjoying every minute of it! 


J: What is your favorite piece and why?
 M: My favorite piece is the Rebecca Snake-Embosses Heel because on one side it has a very simplistic design, yet it is an intriguing piece because it’s made from leather that is far from standard. I went for something less mainstream and more on the wild side. This is a twist that I try to put into all of my designs.

J: Where do you draw inspiration from?
 M: My inspiration is generally drawn from things that affect me deeply. Basically this goes back to question number two – strong women are always an inspiration to me, especially when they manage to break boundaries or change the course history.

J: What do you feel makes you different from the designer?
M: I truly believe that when you look good you feel good, which is why I design shoes that will make a women look good, and of course feel good, all the way down to her toes. I think one of my major differentiators is the “twist” that I add to my designs that keep the design classic, but with a pop of originality. My shoes go with your life, regardless of where you are or where you are going. Lastly, comfort is very important for me, especially when it comes to shoes. This is one of the things I focus on when designing – I want the women who wear them to be as comfortable as possible, all while feeling sexy and feminine.

J: If you were stranded on a deserted island and could only take 3 things with you what would they be?
M:It would be difficult to take my three kids without my husband, as they would be too much for me to handle. So I guess my best answer would have be sunglasses, a bathing suit and suntan lotion. If I’m going to be stranded on a deserted island I may as well get comfortable and die with a good tan.

2 comments:

  1. purple shoes look cute

    love&peace
    http://coilymystic.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. I LOOOOVE the second pair of shoes shown....absolutely adorable!!!

    THAT GOOD GOOD BLOG

    ReplyDelete