Friday, December 17, 2010

Artists Feature: Betsy Otter Thompson- Walking Through Illusion

 
First off I must apologize! I should have read this book a LONG time ago....and I did sort of. I started it, then stopped, then started, then stopped, then last week I started, and completed. From beginning, to end. It was amazing to read. Now that I have read it through I now understand why it took me so long. I wasn't spiritually prepared to read it before. 
This uniquely formed self- help book was inspirational for me to say the least. Ms. Thompson's base was a conversation with Jesus, taking stories of the people He knew throughout His life, or came into contact with and used them as a platform to give direction and enlightenment from their life experiences. For me it personally gave a new perspective to the art of the self help book by showing that in order for your life to change you can not constantly be worried about others action in your life. You can only control your part in it, and how you react. Beautiful.
I was also blessed enough to be able to interview Ms. Thompson, this is what she had to say =).

J: Where are you from?
B: I returned home to Philadelphia four years ago after being in California for 23 years.

J: How do your surroundings affect your creative process?
B: Other than making sure I’m comfortable in them, my surroundings, per se, have little to do with it. For me, it’s about focus: sitting down, and putting my attention to the task.

J: How long have you been writing?
B: I’ve been writing for 23 years.

J: What is your favorite piece and why?
B: I always think the article or the book I’m working on is the best one because it’s the one that’s answering my momentary questions.

J: Where do you draw inspiration from?
B: For me, it comes from within. Without my communication with spirit, there wouldn’t be any product. I’m a vessel. The information comes through me, I write it down, and I share what I am given. Not to say there isn’t an editing process, there is, just as there is, and needs to be, in any kind of writing.

J: What do you think makes you different from the next writer?
B: I’m only different in that I write what comes through my creative expression. Many spiritual self-help authors are doing the same: expressing ideas through their creativity. Many themes are similar, but the results are never the same because each of us writes form our own individual perspective and personal growth.

J: If you were stranded on a deserted island and could only take 3 things with you, what would they be?
B: I’d take my peace of mind, my joy to be alive, and my gratitude for having a beautiful island on which to live.


1 comment: